Stephen T. Karg
I am developing embedded systems software at Lithonia Lighting (not far from Anniston, Alabama), and am not looking to change employers at this time. However, I still keep this resume updated.
I want to develop embedded systems software in a company located near Anniston, Alabama.
LANGUAGES / PROCESSES / EDUCATION:
- I am fluent in C, C++, PL/M, and Assembly (80x86). I have developed systems using Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS), using iRMX, RTTarget/RTKernel, Win32, and uCOS. I have developed graphical interfaces using Menuet and MetaWindow. I have developed embedded systems with and without RTOS.
- I have programmed in the following languages as well: PASCAL, FORTRAN, ACCOL, COBOL, BASIC, and Assembly (8086,8080,Z-80,VAX).
- I have used the following processes for software development: Extreme Programming, Personal Software Process, Structured Design (Functional Decomposition), Object Oriented Design.
- I completed the following short courses to continue my education: Technical Writing Seminar, Introduction to Capability Maturity Model (CMM), Software Engineering Process Group (SEPG) Conference, Networking DDC Systems Using BACnet, Zenger Miller's FrontLine Leadership, More Than A Gut Feeling II - Selection Interviewing Skills, The Embedded Systems Conference, and XP Universe - a conference for learning and sharing about agile software development processes.
- I attended The University of Phoenix, Denver Tech Center Campus, Englewood, Colorado, and attained an M.S. in Computer Information Systems in 1996.
- I attended Geneva College, Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania and attained a B.S. in Electrical Engineering in 1988. I minored in Computer Science. I received Research Honors.
- Lithonia Lighting
Department: Engineering, Lighting Control Systems
From: 7/97 to present
Senior Engineer developing embedded systems for automated building control.
- Using Extreme Programming and Personal Software Process key practices to develop high quality software.
- Active BACnet standing standards project committee member, participating in several working groups, including Testing (BTL) and Lighting Applications.
- Participating in the project planning and estimating, analysis, design, coding, and testing of embedded system products for the controls division.
- Developed a lighting controller product called Synergy. It contains an embedded PC controller, and distributed control modules, and can be networked using BACnet.
- ABB Daimler Benz Transportation (NA), Inc.
From: 7/92 to 7/97
Engineer involved with hardware and software engineering of Automated Ground Transportation Systems.
- Involved in Software Engineering Process Group (SEPG) activities. Reviewed and updated process documentation. Studied ISO 9001, ISO 9000-3, TickIT, and SEI's CMM and PSP.
- Participated in the project planning and estimating, analysis, design, coding, and testing of the Frankfurt Airport, Denver International Airport, Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport, and Miami Downtown People Mover (DPM) SCADA / traffic management realtime multi-tasking products.
- Performed start up, testing activities, hardware/software maintenance, and training for the Miami DPM extension and Denver International Airport (DIA) project's people mover vehicle product.
- Coordinated, scheduled, and tested all facets of the project (to include developing the test documents and getting the tests approved) while interacting with the customer (City and County of Denver) and the consultant (Lea + Elliott) as the Site Test Coordinator for the DIA project.
- Edited, wrote and revised the Software Module Requirements Specifications, Pseudo code listings, Diagnostic Monitor User's Guide, and Installation Testing Specification procedures for the Denver International Airport AGTS. Designed and developed a technician friendly user's guide for the vehicle automatic train control computer for the Miami DPM and DIA projects.
- Alabama Silicon, Inc.
From: 5/89 to 1/92
Plant Engineer involved with the renovation and re-design of an electric arc furnace facility. Created a modern, flexible, and efficient manufacturing facility.
- Designed 4 relay controllers in house using CAD and ladder logic. Built and tested the circuitry. Designed systems integrating limit, level, and proximity switches, motion detectors, rotary pulse generators, RTD's, thermocouples, pitot tubes, pressure transducers, load cells, PT's, CT's, and various signal conditioners.
- Designed, selected and built instrument and control panels and custom displays for metering and monitoring.
- Selected, configured, and programmed the Bristol Babcock DPC 3330 for furnace control, water spray cooling, temperature and flue gas monitoring, data acquisition, strip chart recording, load cell weighing, and various power monitoring related calculations.
- Installed and supervised the installation of plant wiring, power distribution centers, and lighting according to electrical codes. Analyzed power factor and installed corrective capacitors.
- Carbo-Sil, Inc.
Niagara Falls, New York
From: 8/88 to 3/89
Plant Manager and Electrical Engineer involved in production, eliminating bottlenecks, and maintenance of an automated block production facility. Increased production from 0 to 50 tons/day to 80-100 tons/day.
- Selected and programmed AC drives. Programmed, diagnosed, and maintained a Cardinal weigh and batching system.
- Redesigned the block loading / unloading system to operate automatically. Diagnosed and repaired the block press controller to operate automatically.
- Wrote inventory management programs using dBase.
- Wrote the employee handbook.
- Geneva College
Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
Title: Engineering Research Assistant
From: 4/88 to 7/88
- Analyzed and developed a portable heated stadium seat cushion using WINTEK, P-CAD, SPICE, and I-DEAS solid modeling software.
I am a member of The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., (IEEE).
I am a member of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE).
Take a look at my brother Lou's Resume.
Take a look at my brother-in-law Curtis's Resume.
Page created by Steve Karg using Intel's aedit or Notepad.
Back to the Karg Family Home Page.
Changes last made on: 26 Nov 2001